Thursday, March 13, 2008

Time flies when you're having fun

I was sitting around the office last night swapping stories with an old Navy winger when I realized the date. Twenty-five years ago, on Sunday March 13th, a young 17 year old from Guelph arrived at CFB Cornwallis for 10 weeks of pure unmitigated hell, otherwise known as Basic Training.

I had kissed my family good-bye at the train station in Guelph on Saturday morning. A train to Trenton, overnight there, a flight to Greenwood Nova Scotia the next morning and that last fateful bus ride to Cornwallis. Lord knows I had no idea what I was in for.

I remember leaving home wearing a spring jacket and waking up Monday morning in Cornwallis to about 2 feet of snow.

As much as I hated virtually every minute I ever spent in Cornwallis, there is no doubt in my mind that the time I spent there helped define who and what I am today. Although I didn't end up spending my entire career in the Navy, I relish every day I was in. The people and the experiences were second to none.

Ready Aye Ready.

Cross posted from The Shadow

3 Comments:

Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

It's amazing both what dates we remember after all this time, and how fast the time really passes: my fifteen-year reunion at RMC is this fall.

5:06 p.m., March 13, 2008  
Blogger WE Speak said...

I liked RMC and the Kingston area a lot, although my experience there was slightly different than yours. :) I spent the summers of 92 and 93 there as a CIC officer with HMCS Ontario, working at the Boatshed.

6:36 p.m., March 13, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

me too - dates etched in memory, FN serial numbers, so happy so many times so many years later in life for the lessons learned about teamwork, hard work, making sacrifices, the value of comradeship, being organized, planning - SMEAC still works

Too bad it can't be part of the regular school system . . . the PC'ers would have heart attack !!

6:40 p.m., March 13, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home