Sunday, February 10, 2008

Silvia Pecota: photojournalist, artist, patriot

I just discovered that Silvia Pecota, the lady who created "Pro Patria" (pictured at left, and posted about here by BBS many moons ago), has recently created another inspiring piece - this one a bronze plaque for the memorial to the fallen at Kandahar Air Field.

I discovered this in my local community newspaper: The Independent & Free Press of Georgetown, ON. So a big BZ to Ted Brown and the folks at The Independent for bringing my attention to a local story with a CF angle. Now, if only they could put their articles online so I could link to them at the source. Instead, I'm going to have to retype the thing. *SIGH* Ah well, here goes.

Artist and international photojournalist Silvia Pecota has been to Afghanistan three times since 2006, on assignment covering the day-to-day life of Canadian troops stationed there, for national media in Canada.

While there on her first trip, she visited the memorial set up for those Canadian soldiers who had lost their lives while on active duty in Afghanistan.

"There's a rock at the Kandahar Airfield Memorial sit, to recognize those soldiers," said Pecota. "A rock - nothing more. I thought those soldiers should have more than a rock to remember them.

"I decided to try creating an appropriate memorial to pay tribute to those fallen soldiers," continued Pecota, "so I started work on a relief to place at the site."

Pecota's relief, depicting a fallen soldier being lifted up by an angel, was first created as a plaster cast to illustrate the concept, which Pecota then submitted to the Canadian Forces Artist Program (CFAP) for possible approval - and no guarantees.

"I was really pleased - they (CFAP) approved the plaster cast in December," said Pecota, "and they agreed to pay the cost of having it cast in bronze."

Artcast Inc., located on Armstrong Avenue in Georgetown, cast the relief for her, and Pecota was in town last week to pick up the 64 lbs. of bronze that will eventually find its way to the Kandahar Air Field Memorial site in Afghanistan.

"It's going to (Canadian Forces Base) Trenton, then flying out this week," said Pecota. "I expect they'll have it installed soon after it arrives."

Other than the recognition of creating the relief, Pecota receives no remuneration for her work, after dedicating her time and efforts to transfer an image conceived in her mind, into a final artwork, cast in bronze.

"I don't need anything for my work," said Pecota. "I'm just pleased to see those fallen soldiers will finally receive an appropriate memorial over there - that's all that really matters to me."


If you like Pecota's work, or her patriotism, or both, I'd suggest you visit her site yourself. She has some really fantastic images posted there - like these:





If you're so inclined, you could even purchase some of those prints at this link, and support a Canadian artist who's supporting the CF.

Well done to all involved - the artist, the bronze casting company, and the journalist who brought it to my attention.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home