Thursday, January 11, 2007

Procurement war stories

I never thought I'd wade into a military procurement debate over at this site, but I did. And, lo and behold, I was rewarded with this gem of a DND procurement tale from Agitfact in the comments:

Roughly 20 years ago I worked in project management at NDHQ. We needed a particular piece of equipment to meet a training requirement. Being dumb, we thought this was easy - one thing on the market met the requirement perfectly, and we only needed a limited quantity...


I'll let you wander over to POGGE to read the rest.

This is what an Advance Contract Award Notice (ACAN) is designed for: "We have done our research and to the best of our knowledge, only XXX can provide the capability/service we are looking for. Before we award XXX the contract, however, is there anyone else out there that can do this?"

You can guess how the obvious choice worked out in Agitfact's story. But his best line to my way of thinking is this:

I’m glad that there was no high-intensity battlefield for the acid test.


Me too. But the folks running procurement at NDHQ and PWGSC today have no such luxury.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Taylor said...

The discussion over there isn't bad. I had to weight in over some of the airlift bits, naturally.

3:06 p.m., January 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home