Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sometimes you just have to smile

From Peter Worthington's Sun column today about Canadian retirees working in Florida:

My friend, Mike, tells the story of one retiree, a Wal-Mart greeter, whom everyone liked but who just couldn’t seem to get to work on time.

Every day he was late. Sometimes five minutes, others 10 or 15. This presented problems for his boss, who really liked him, admired his attitude, appreciated that he worked diligently, was honest, tidy, clean-shaven, sharp minded and a credit to both himself and the company.

He was also living testimony to the benefits of Wal-Mart’s “older persons are friendly” policy.

Finally, the boss called him into the office for a talk.

“Charlie,” he said, “your work is great, you do a bang-up job and we really appreciate you. But I’ve got to tell you, you coming in late so often is really bothersome. Can you do something about it?”

“Yes, boss, I know that’s a failing and I’m working on it,” Charlie said.

“Well, that’s good. You’re a team player and that’s what I like to hear. It’s odd, though, you coming in late. I know you were in the military. What did they say when you came in late there?”

“They said ‘Good morning, general, can I get you a cup of coffee, sir?’ ”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home