Friday, February 19, 2010

John Babcock, 1900-2010, R.I.P.

The last Canadian veteran of World War One has died.

This, from the Governor General/Commander-in-Chief:
It is with a deep sense of loss that my husband, Jean-Daniel Lafond, and I learned of the passing of John Babcock, the man whom Canadians had come to know as the last surviving soldier from World War I.

He always gave the best of himself, right until the venerable age of 109.

You know how dear the members of the Canadian Forces and our veterans are to my heart. And while I am deeply moved and saddened, I am also very honoured to be the Commander-in-Chief and Governor General to pay final tribute to Mr. Babcock.

On behalf of all Canadians, we extend our deepest sympathies to his family and many friends who mourn his passing. May his accomplishments and his example inspire many future generations to serve their nation.
Condolences to Mr. Babcock's family as we see the end of an era pass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home