Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Clarity and focus

I'm just delving into Rick Hillier's memoir, "A Soldier First," and while I'm enjoying the read immensely, I must admit one aspect of his writing disappoints me greatly: he seems completely unable to express an honest opinion, untainted by political correctness.

Here's one good example:

"The ideal of UN peacekeeping is beautiful, but after my time in Zagreb I concluded that the United Nations itself couldn't run a one-man rush to the outhouse. Pragmatically, it was almost criminal to put Canadian troops under UN command in missions that were anything but absolutely benign because the UN was fundamentally incapable of running effective military operations."


I mean, why can't the man stop beating around the bush and tell us how he really feels?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many Newf's have that problem, as do Cape Bretoner's.

They just can't seem to be able to speak in simple, direct, terms.

Come to think of it, every CSM & RSM I ever met had the same problem.

6:56 p.m., November 03, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sarc off

6:57 p.m., November 03, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home