Saturday, April 25, 2009

Shia leaders in Afstan (and women)

The start of two posts at The Canada-Afghanistan Blog:

1) "I Separate What They Think From What The People Think"
I may be getting into dead horse territory here, but I think the comments by Hossain Ali Romaz, the executive director of Afghanistan's Independent Human Rights Commission, are worth hearing--especially his comments on the Hazaras, discussed earlier in this post...
2) More On Moseni
This is a few days old, but Lauryn sent me an interesting Guardian article giving us more details on the author of the infamous "rape law", Asif Mohseni.

I've bolded the sentences that are most revealing, including why a Shia cleric has so much influence in a Sunni-dominated country and why Karzai finds him a politically expedient guy to have around...
Update: An article by Lauryn Oates:
Afghan women worth the fight

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home