Thursday, January 08, 2009

Warning orders: prepare to move...

This has been in the works for awhile. Years, in fact. Memos went up the chain of command, and back down again. Never any luck. And then, just recently, approval.

I'm going to Afghanistan.

I can't say when, but it will be shortly. I can't say exactly where, nor how long I'll be gone for. DND is understandably picky about that sort of thing. But if the creek don't rise, I'll be posting from over there at some point in the fairly near future, so watch this space.

This is a first for a Canadian blogger. A fairly narrow first, but a first nonetheless: bloggers have served, but not really written about it; American bloggers have embedded with Canadian troops; Canadian bloggers have gone over unilaterally. But to the best of my knowledge, a Canadian blogger has never before been invited on a CF-sponsored visit.

Much as the CF is hosting this visit, there are still some incidental costs that the CF doesn't cover - a couple grand worth, as a matter of fact. For a member of the paid media, these can be put on an expense claim. For me, they come out of my pocket. I'm already taking precious vacation time to pursue this, so I'm hoping you, Gentle Reader, would help defray those costs by hitting my tip-jar. Any contribution, no matter how small, would be most welcome. Click the button to donate via PayPal, (which for those not familiar with it, does accept credit cards).









I'm looking forward to this incredible opportunity to see some of what the CF and Canada is doing in Afghanistan first-hand, and to tell you about it from my perspective. Wait, out.

14 Comments:

Blogger military granny said...

Oh my goodness Damian when you said watch the site for big things to come you weren't kidding. Wishing you all the best in the "sandbox".Take care.

5:08 p.m., January 08, 2009  
Blogger James McKenzie said...

Congratulations Damian, and I wish you the best of luck. I can't wait to have some real reporting from Afghanistan.

Also, be sure to pass on my sincerest thanks for the tremendous job our troops are doing.

5:09 p.m., January 08, 2009  
Blogger Raphael Alexander said...

This sounds like a wonderful opportunity. I will follow the Torch even more closely during this time.

7:08 p.m., January 08, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work Damian - congrats ++. I am sure you will be able to convey firsthand to the troops how much we respect them and the the great work they are doing.

7:17 p.m., January 08, 2009  
Blogger Mark, Ottawa said...

Virtue rewarded, I'd say. Blogosphere response, according to Google, as of 1930, Jan. 8.

Mark
Ottawa

7:37 p.m., January 08, 2009  
Blogger Shere Khan said...

Woah! I thought it was outstanding that we somehow got our toque out to the sandbox, but this takes the cake, the plate and the fork!

Congratulations Damian, I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a little envious....

;-)

7:58 p.m., January 08, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

Damian - send me an email and I'll pass on contact information for Mr. Orange Toque. Perhaps you can travel with MOT for a bit of your trip. Do ensure to pass him back to his handler before you leave.

God speed and stay safe.

8:32 p.m., January 08, 2009  
Blogger VW said...

Good luck over there, Damian.

9:31 a.m., January 09, 2009  
Blogger Mark said...

That's awesome news, Damian. God speed over there. Please pass along thanks to the troops.

10:50 a.m., January 09, 2009  
Blogger Paul Wells said...

Well, one *part-time* blogger did go...although I didn't blog while I was over there.

But this is a good idea. Looking forward to your posts. Also I have hiking boots if you're a Size 10.

11:18 a.m., January 09, 2009  
Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

*chuckling*

Paul, a businessperson is actually paying you a salary to write. To my mind, that puts you in a different category. Of course, as a journalist who blogs, Inkless Wells is among the very best of the genre - not taking away from your blogging, just noting you're still in a different category.

Perhaps I should have specified that I'm the first Canadian amateur blogger to be invited by the CF?...

11:24 a.m., January 09, 2009  
Blogger AWG said...

Stay Safe Damian, I would love to have done that, I'm hoping one day soon I'll be on that side of the world writing about my experiences as a freelance blogger. Good Luck and tell the soldiers 'thank you' for their service. They are on my mind always.

5:20 p.m., January 09, 2009  
Blogger AWG said...

Damian, Do you have a twitter account to follow you on. It would be great to put it on your sidebar too, it's great for quick updates to those who subscribe to your blog.

5:33 p.m., January 09, 2009  
Blogger robins111 said...

Good luck and God-speed Damian.

Please pass on our best wishes and prayers for the troops.

7:05 p.m., January 09, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home