Thursday, December 11, 2008

R2P should include Afghans

If the vaunted Responsibility to Protect starts anywhere, it starts here:

"I was coming from my uncle's shop where I work. On the way there was an IED, the Taliban put it someplace beside the road so there was an explosion," she said.

"I was just walking. Their (the Taliban's) plan - their target - was the ANP (Afghan National Police). We were walking on the road, there was a (Ford) Ranger - a police pickup - and then there was an explosion."

...

"I am a tough girl that's why I am laughing," she smiled.

Her nurse since day one, Lt. Sophie Pelletier, stood watching, tears rolling down her face.

"I've grown attached to her and I'm glad she's here. Her surgeon is my new hero," Pelletier said tearfully.

"I hope she learns English and she can become a translator and independent," she added.

The Afghan interpreter put things into perspective very quickly at that point.

"Her future will be very bad in Afghanistan. This is not Canada or America. Life is not good for her in the future," he explained.

"She's got an amputated leg and in Afghanistan, a girl who has an amputated leg no one is going to marry her. This will be her life."

"Her parents will take care of her. It depends on her destiny. Maybe she will find a boy who will want to marry her but I don't think so," he said.


BZ to all those fine Canadians who are working to make life better for people like young Marzyca - those who protect her by being badder than the bad guys, those who build her schools and wells and irrigation canals, and those who save her life in a Canadian-run hospital.

But today, the biggest BZ goes to those who heal:

Back in her room Marzyca seemed oblivious to all of the attention and was talking about the care she was receiving.

"This is the first time I have been in a hospital," she said and then pointed at Pelletier.

"She has been taking good care of me. She's the best in this hospital."


One team, one fight.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave in Pa. said...

"But today, the biggest BZ goes to those who heal...One team, one fight."

I heartily agree. There are lots of heroes and heroines among the Allied Forces in Af-stan and by no means do all of them pack a rifle. If one had to pick a hero/heroine of the day, Lt. Sophie Pelletier is surely one. Thank you , Lt. Pelletier, for your devotion and compassion.

3:22 p.m., December 11, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every generation, the greatest ones are those who lay it on the line, who serve, who sacrifice, who place themselves after the common good.

The greatest people of this generation are so very well represented by the Lt. Sophie Pelletier's and all her fellow soldiers serving our country.

5:16 p.m., December 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home