Thursday, November 29, 2007

"Shadow Pilot for a day at 403 Sqn"

Nice way to get young people interested in the CF:
Oromocto, N.B. - As an active supporter of the Job Shadow Program for New Brunswick grade 9 students, 403 Helicopter Operational Training Squadron hosted students from local school districts to shadow members of the "Wolfpack".

On Nov. 7, Melanie Beaulieu, a student from Stanley High School who is very interested in pursuing a career as a pilot, had the opportunity of job shadowing with Captain Cheryl Elvidge, a CH-146 Griffon pilot. Capt. Elvidge took Melanie under her wing and provided her with worksite experience. Melanie spent the day asking Capt. Elvidge's about her job and her military experience in general...

The highlight of her day was a one hour training session at the Griffon Flight Simulator with an in depth demonstration on the use of night vision goggles (NVGs)...

6 Comments:

Blogger Dave in Pa. said...

Well, isn't that nice! :-)

Maybe in ten years or so, we'll see Miss Beaulieu in CF flight uniform, at the controls of a CH-148, C-130J or CC-177 or even a CF-35.

10:50 a.m., November 29, 2007  
Blogger Chris Taylor said...

Man I would have killed for that kind of tour when I was in Grade 9.

2:31 p.m., November 29, 2007  
Blogger Dave in Pa. said...

Chris, I know this'll make me sound like Fred Flintstone..

For my 9th grade field trip, we went to NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, MD. This was in the 60's, Gemini was going on and they were preparing for Apollo. We got to see one of those newfangled IBM 360 mainframe computers, some satellite mockups,mockups of the Gemini and Apollo capsules, all their fancy high-tech labs, all sorts of neat things.

Of course, everything I and my classmates saw that day is museum-caliber now. But it was a fun and fascinating trip. (And there was this GORGEOUS blonde girl on the bus that I had a crush on for the whole 9th grade but was too scared to approach. :-)

6:35 p.m., November 29, 2007  
Blogger Mark, Ottawa said...

Dave: But did she go into aerospace?

Mark
Ottawa

7:18 p.m., November 29, 2007  
Blogger Dave in Pa. said...

Dunno, Mark ... Beverly was her name...We moved to S. Carolina at the end of my 10th grade year and I never saw her again. Nice memory, though. :-)

But in the 10th grade, I was enamored by a beautiful brunette girl in my French class, whose name escapes me now. She sat three seats up, one row over and I spent at least half of class time admiring her. Amazing that I learned any French! And there was Miss. G., my 10th grade English teacher. Mid 20's, beautiful lady with an awesome figure, who wore mini-skirts to school sometimes. Wow, she was beautiful. :-)

7:44 p.m., November 29, 2007  
Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

Dave, speaking from experience, the best way to practice your french is with a francophone of the opposite sex. :)

9:22 p.m., November 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home