Wednesday, November 28, 2007

For the hobbyists

I've never been into model-building - it's far too meticulous a pastime for my rather shallow reserves of patience. But I know a few people who love crafting aircraft models, and I can see just what a passion it is for them. I had one friend at milcol, now a Griffon pilot, who actually carved his own pieces and mixed his own paints to get a modification on the Hind he was working on just right.

So when I stumbled across CanMilAir.com recently, I knew it would be of interest to a specific segment of our readership here at The Torch:

By late 2003, I had designed a series of four colour prints which examine the various roundel designs used on the military aircraft flown by Canadian servicemen (and women) starting in 1914. Incredibly, there are 45 uniquely different designs that have been used over the years and the four prints contain over 2,000 words of text to explain the designs.

In early 2005, I purchased an ALPS printer to turn my artwork into usable decals and CanMilAir Decals was born. Each of my decal set provides correctly sized lettering & markings for one Canadian aircraft model and most offer optional aircraft numbers. This has two benefits: once you have decided on a specific marking scheme, you won't have to pay for a lot of decals you won't need, as you would with large multi-scheme sheets; and it keeps your cost down.


If you're a model junkie who loves building Canadian military aircraft, and you hadn't already discovered this site, you're welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home