Thursday, January 04, 2007

A dad and some friends

I found a couple of gems over at JD's place today.

First is a letter from the father of Cpl Paul Davis, killed in Afghanistan earlier this year.

I have no idea who I am writing to. I was just searching the Internet, desperately trying to find information on the four Canadian soldiers who were killed on April 22, and I came upon your Web site. I started to read and couldn't stop.

Assuming I am writing to Americans, I want to share something with you.


A friend in need is a friend indeed. Mr. Davis sounds like a standup guy to rise out of his grief to praise others. I hope he finds some small solace in the fact that his son is remembered and honoured by those who never even had the privilege of knowing him.

And speaking of friends...the second gem is a tongue-in-cheek list of the differences between military and civilian friends. Here's a sample:

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
MILITARY FRIENDS: Are the reason you have no food.

CIVILIAN FRIENDS: Bail you out of jail and tell you what you did was wrong.
MILITARY FRIENDS: Would be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...we screwed up...but man that was fun!"


Read it all, including the new ones added in the comments. And add your own, should you feel the urge...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home