Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Trench Songs

The first world war was hell - thousands upon thousands of men fought and died, and many of them spent many months holed up in the trenches that formed the boundary between the opposing armies, living barely better than the rats who harassed them. To pass the time and keep their spirits up, songs were created - often filled with bitter satire or black humour. Here is an example of a trench song from WWI:

'When this lousy war is over'

Tune: 'What a Friend we have in Jesus'

When this lousy war is over no more soldiering for me,
When I get my civvy clothes on, oh how happy I shall be.
No more church parades on Sunday, no more begging for a pass.
You can tell the sergeant-major to stick his passes up his arse.

(Repeat first two lines of first verse)
No more NCOs to curse me, no more rotten army stew.
You can tell the old cook-sergeant, to stick his stew right up his flue.

(Repeat first two lines of first verse)
No more sergeants bawling, 'Pick it up' and 'Put it down'
If I meet the ugly bastard I'll kick his arse all over town


((Although I'm very partial to Three German Officers crossed the Rhine, I thought it might be a little much to repost.))

If trench song are not your thing, how about try some poetry from the first world war - there is far more out there than just 'In Flanders Fields'.

[cross-posted to bound by gravity]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home