Friday, January 25, 2008

Revolt of the Canadians

It's been a good week in the Old Dominion. The Gods of the Copybook Headings speak, and so do I:

...As news arrived that the we had not became a de facto Republic by court order and Charter challenge, we learned that a government panel, commissioned by the Prime Minister, had judged our efforts in Afghanistan worthy and true, though imperfect. There was talk of us playing hardball with our NATO allies, threatening to pull out unless they put up. There was talk of more reconstruction. There was very little talk of surrender and withdrawal. The good Canadian, the choir invisible has told us, is a peacekeeper. We see daily in Afghanistan that we are still a nation that can produce warriors. Virtually all of Europe has become enervated, yet still we have, however small and improvised, a real fighting force. The martial virtues kept alive in defiance of all expectation and the devout wish of the pacifists who have controlled our foreign policy for two generations.

Our freedoms, our crown and our armed forces. These were once cornerstones of our identity. The Pearson-Trudeau project has seen each weakened in an attempt to create a post-colonial identity, one based on the faddish notions of the 1960s. The efforts to unanchor us from our history, its best and worst elements, to return us to a tabula rasa where a new Canada was to be created, seemed to most conservatives to be a success. Those who doubted the wisdom of the neo-Jacobins were a small minority of the those too old to adapt and too young to know better.

We have seen in the span of a week three small but powerful instances of the best of the old Canada reasserting herself. Invoking the Magna Carta used to be a defense attorney cliche; when Ezra spoke it had all the feeling of radical defiance. Justice Barnes' insistence that Canada was still a monarchy read not like a platitude and instead came down with the power of prophecy. The Manley Report chastised the Conservative government for not supporting the mission strongly enough, for not explaining more clearly and forcefully our reasons and goals. A war-time government was not being martial enough. I do not delude myself to the nature of the task ahead. Still what we have seen are flashes in the dark. They give us bearing and comfort. They remind us that Henry Hazlitt was not wrong when he promised that one day time would run back.

18 Comments:

Blogger Cameron Campbell said...

I'm sorry, if this blog is going to be come a partisan rehashing of nonmilitary SDA items I am going to have to beg your pardon and take my leave.

12:42 p.m., January 25, 2008  
Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

Don't confuse ideological with partisan, Cam. The post deals with political support of the CF and our war effort, it doesn't plug for a particular party.

Just because the blog is non-partisan doesn't mean we won't comment on politics as they affect the CF.

Since Wonderdog retired from blogging and Dave at The Galloping Beaver decided to advocate Canadian soldiers shooting down American CAS on occasion, I haven't been able to find a credible left-of-centre writer with some expertise on the CF.

Until I do, the right-of-centre viewpoint (some more moderate than others) is what you get.

Of course, if you're willing to pay me enough, I'll spew left-wing nonsense until your nose bleeds. ;)

12:59 p.m., January 25, 2008  
Blogger vmijpp said...

I searched in vain for a mention of my dear Commonwealth of Virginia-- just turned 400 last year-- until I realized you meant the *other* Old Dominion. :-) Either way, this is good news.

1:35 p.m., January 25, 2008  
Blogger The Monarchist said...

You'll have to explain to me what SDA stands for, but I do apologize for taking a swipe at the Conservatives.

2:09 p.m., January 25, 2008  
Blogger Cameron Campbell said...

bb, the reference to Ezra relates to the military how?

Dogmatic then, ideologically insulting perhaps as well.

2:09 p.m., January 25, 2008  
Blogger The Monarchist said...

Oh, that SDA. I'm actually not a regular reader of that blog.

2:10 p.m., January 25, 2008  
Blogger Cameron Campbell said...

To be clear bb, I don't like the rest of the post either, but it's on topic so I have no problem with it.

2:12 p.m., January 25, 2008  
Blogger The Monarchist said...

I think our veterans fought for freedom on more than one occasion, so when these things come under attack at home, (not because of partisan politics but because basic fundamental values like freedom of speech are under threat), I wouldn't expect anyone to get overly upset if they partly found their way into a post about our fight in Afstan.

2:20 p.m., January 25, 2008  
Blogger Cameron Campbell said...

Thanks monarchist, I'm actually laughing out loud.

I believe the next step is where I'm drawn further into discussing this, then at some point my support for the troops, our democratic system, veterans or something gets called into question.

At which point I get annoyed and say something regrettable and quite probably very very rude.

Then we enter the "all lefties have is ad hominem attacks to back up their points" phase (because being accused of [see two paragraphs up] isn't ad hominem, no sirie).

At which point, because I was raised right I'll wind up apologizing and restating my point in a calmer manner and everyone gets to feel like the lefty was put in his place.

And my point that Ezra printing cartoons that people thought were insulting and that got him in front of a body that was created by our democratically elected government and who's rulings aren't binding has bugger all to do with the military will be lost.

So let's just skip the the sullen pouting phase and move on, k?

2:29 p.m., January 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well according to the Layton/NDP and Dion+Rae/Liberals party lines, Canada has never been a nation of soldiers.

We are Peacekeepers. That's what we are famous for.

Uh huh.

Which is why this blog is important

2:33 p.m., January 25, 2008  
Blogger Cameron Campbell said...

fred, I'm going to try very very hard to be polite with you, inf only because this is not my "house":

1) What does that have to do with me? Why do you think it reasonable to tar me with their stupidity when I would never tar you with the various mouth breathers that live at your end of the political spectrum?

2) What does that have to do with my point about Ezra?

3) I don't really have a point 3, but I'm experimenting with odd numbered lists.

2:37 p.m., January 25, 2008  
Blogger The Monarchist said...

Cameron, you would make a great chess player. If I was antagonistically partisan, which I'm not, I think you were about 7 plays ahead of me.

I don't know where you see yourself on the political spectrum, but I think any miliblog that can attract a readership left of centre must be doing something right.

2:43 p.m., January 25, 2008  
Blogger Cameron Campbell said...

monarchist, thanks, but that's really not true... I'm so bad at chess my wife has given up playing me... something about being bored and not enjoying making me look like a puppy that's been kicked.

I agree with you about The Torch being able to draw from across the spectrum, I just would be very sad if it were to devolve into a Free Dominion/SDA no holds barred attack on the left...

2:50 p.m., January 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"1) What does that have to do with me? "

Nothing. See comment number two, para 2 on the thread from BB

It's not always about you Cameron, despite what you might like or want or believe.

I'll accept your apology in advance, no worries.

3:17 p.m., January 25, 2008  
Blogger Cameron Campbell said...

So you were just talking to yourself?

3:21 p.m., January 25, 2008  
Blogger Cameron Campbell said...

Actually fred, why do you think it acceptable to be so rude to me?

I'm just curious.

3:24 p.m., January 25, 2008  
Blogger Mark, Ottawa said...

Enough already, kiddies!

Mark
Ottawa

4:17 p.m., January 25, 2008  
Blogger Cameron Campbell said...

But Daaaaddd!

6:27 p.m., January 25, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home