Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Trying to deal with CF personnel shortages

Re-recruiting:
Chief of the Defence Staff Gen. Walter Natynczyk wants those who recently left the Canadian Forces to come back into the fold.

He says that despite meeting its recruiting targets the military is having difficulty in boosting its overall numbers as well as in specific trades. Attrition is taking its toll and the demographic bomb of those with 20 to 30 years in the military is about to explode (if it hasn’t already).

One solution --besides more aggressive recruiting --is getting former military personnel back into uniform, says Gen. Natynczyk.

Here’s what he had to say to a number of reporters including myself: “It’s remarkable how many are actually giving us a call and saying I’d like to come back, I like what I see. I welcome that. How quickly can I bring them in? How quickly can I fast-track the process? Let’s not be bureaucratic about this. Bring them in. They just got out a few years ago. They’re still pretty fresh. Let's welcome them with open arms."..
Earlier posts on the problem are here ('CF's "war for talent"') and here (pilots), plus one on Army Non-commissioned members.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home