Thursday, June 14, 2007

"Going to war with a pencil"



This poignant drawing was created by Richard Johnson, a war artist corresponding from Kandahar. It's not the first time he's done this, apparently: four years ago he strapped on tac-vest and helmet to document another war and its ancillary activities with a sketch-pad and pencils. Good on him for doing it again; making that decision the second time 'round is more difficult than the first, from what I've been told.

War art has a proud tradition in this country, and as I've mentioned in a previous post, its resurrection for modern times is a most welcome anachronism. Sometimes a paintbrush or charcoal can capture the essence of a subject more intimately than a more "accurate" photograph.

Some of Johnson's written commentary is also worth looking at:

How do military folks do this? As the clock ticks down to leaving, I find myself constantly questioning what I am doing. The surety of purpose has drained from me over my last few days with Karen and the kids. I cannot imagine how much i will miss them all in the couple of months I am away. How do service men and women do it for tours of six, eight, ten or twelve months? It is beyond me.


...and this one made me laugh out loud:

I have been looking for a photographers' vest -- you know the one with all the pockets -- but they are way more money than I can afford. Karen had the brilliant idea of looking for a fly-fishing vest instead. A store clerk asked what size she needed for me. She said I needed a large because it had to go over my bulletproof vest. The shopkeeper replied, "My god, what kind of fish are these?"


He says his sketching is rusty. I'd give my left nut to be able to capture images like that with nothing more than a scrap of paper and a writing implement. I look forward to seeing more of his work as his time in theatre progresses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home