Thursday, March 01, 2007

A good question...

...from a Canadian in uniform, e-mailed to me:

I'm getting tired of hearing about the fourth civilian Canadian troops have killed in a month days after the TB kill 23 civilians going after Cheney. Do civilains count more when we kill them or am I missing something here?


Unfortunately, it could have been worse for the CF: the CBC could have said "Afghan Civillian Murdered By Canadian Troops" instead.

Neutral and dispassionate journalism? Apart from the questionable morality of staying neutral in a fight between civilization and despotic feudal barbarity, the proposition that coverage of the CF in Afghanistan is neutral makes me shake my head.

That's a preposterously small fig leaf with which to cover the vastness of the Canadian media establishment's shame.