Wednesday, February 14, 2007

"...you preening jackass"

Gnotalex decides some bushes aren't worth beating around, if you'll pardon the bad contextual pun:

Attaran said his interest in human rights and the accountability of institutions grew out of his immigrant experience and a seminal trip through Africa before working on his doctorate at Oxford.

"There in Africa, in the middle of Angola, it was astonishing to me that young men and women of my age who were just fantastically mentally gifted...would never have the opportunity to go to Berkeley, to go to Oxford, UBC, be a faculty member at Harvard, Ottawa.

"They were opportunities I got and they didn't -- just by accident of birth...So it is clear to me that there is something that I have to pay back. That is the foundation of my morality."


Yeah, whatever, you preening jackass. If the Taliban get back in power, too bad that Afghan children won't get those opportunities. Sucks to be them, huh?


On a related note, is anyone else noticing the distinct lack of new information on this issue? I mean, Koring and Attaran could be saving up for a big push at a later date, but I suspect if they could have kept their story on the front pages even a little longer, they would have.

While I could well be wrong, the sudden silence leaves me wondering if the editors at the Globe & Mail, having been called on their frantic spinning for a few days straight, took a hard second look at the source info used to justify this story and said to Koring and Attaran: "Is that all you've got?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home