Monday, November 27, 2006

Jumping the gun

David Akin's piece - the one Mark pointed out here - is misleading.

CTV News has learned that the Department of National Defence has submitted its "Canada First Defence Strategy", a so-called defence capabilities plan that sketches out the sorts of missions the military should be prepared to carry out and what kind of role it ought to play over the next several decades in support of Canadian foreign policy and Canadian domestic policy.


Submitted to whom? By placing this information directly ahead of the speculation about potential equipment purchases to be put before cabinet, the implication is that the plan has been submitted to cabinet too.

That's just plain wrong. DND's defence capabilities plan is in fact still being worked upon. In fact, it will be awhile before it's complete and ready for final submission to anyone with the power to act upon it.

My guess is that some staffer saw a memo on his bosses desk or at most a draft copy, and decided to share that information with Akin. But I'll call that what it is - a guess on my part.

You'll note I don't qualify my statement above the same way.

Check your sources, Dave.

4 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Well, my sources on that one are pretty good. You think I got it from a "staffer". Well, it was triple-checked and if you want to know the source, how about we play a little 'source poker'. The bidding starts at Lt. Gen. What do you got Mr. Brooks?

7:23 p.m., November 27, 2006  
Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

I only know one LGen, David, and he wouldn't tell me even if he knew. He's that sort of a guy.

It will be interesting to see just how happy your LGen friend will be to know you've narrowed the pool of potential leaks down to his rank, though.

Unless it was an 'official' leak, that is. Considering the meetings that apparently occurred at NDHQ this morning, I doubt it.

FYI, if I've been following the command transformation properly, our list of LGen's is as follows:
- LIEUTENANT-GENERAL WALTER J. NATYNCZYK - VCDS
- LIEUTENANT-GENERAL M.J. DUMAIS - Canada Command
- LIEUTENANT-GENERAL J.C.M., GAUTHIER - CEFCOM
- LIEUTENANT-GENERAL A.B. LESLIE - CLS
- LIEUTENANT-GENERAL J.S. LUCAS - CAS
- VICE-ADMIRAL D.W. ROBERTSON - CMS
- LIEUTENANT-GENERAL E.A. FINDLEY - Deputy Commander NORAD
- LIEUTENANT-GENERAL J.O.M. MAISONNEUVE - CHIEF OF STAFF NATO HQ SUPREME ALLIED COMMANDER TRANSFORMATION
- VICE-ADMIRAL G.V. DAVIDSON - Canadian Military Representative to the Military Committee at NATO HQ

Nine potential sources for your leak.

Unlike you, I'm not even willing to hint at how I've come by my information. But I remain confident in that information nonetheless.

The scope of the defence capabilities plan has not been finalized.

10:13 p.m., November 27, 2006  
Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

Maybe not as precise as you'd thought, Lance, although you were right about the VAdm's. Apparently civilian LGen equivalents should be included in the pool. It would make me far happier to think it was a DM or ADM than a uniformed officer doing the leaking.

11:56 a.m., November 28, 2006  
Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

Much agreement on civilian vs. military leaks.

My hopes have since been dashed in private correspondence.

12:59 p.m., November 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home