Friday, September 29, 2006

The rally in T.O.


Well, organizationally speaking, it was a bit of a charlie-foxtrot. But there were a bunch of us in red there.

We cheered, we stood in silence as the names of the fallen were read, we stood in awe as parents of the serving, the wounded, and the fallen spoke to us, and then we sang O Canada and left. Some supposedly notable people showed up, but to be brutally honest with you, they were overshadowed by the presence of the military families and veterans. It wasn't a time for politicians, although few of them proved able to resist the lure of the microphone on stage.



Speaking of the stage, we should all send a big thank-you to Greyhound for ceding their day at Dundas Square to this event. They had planned it and paid for it, and their permit would have taken precedence if they had chosen to push the issue, but to their overwhelming credit, they didn't. Here's where you can drop them a line to say thanks.

As I was travelling back to work on the subway, a friend of mine who spent a good amount of time with the service battalion here in town remarked how great it would be if other Canadian cities did the same thing we have in Ottawa and now Toronto.

Wouldn't it be fantastic to have a different city with a different rally on a different Friday, but with the same type of proud Canadians, decked out in red, belting out the national anthem, and supporting our troops?

Update: A couple of commenters over at SDA weigh in with their own first-hand accounts.

Up-front-date: Taylor got closer than me. And his pic's, as usual, kick butt.

Upping-the-numbers-date: Dr. Roy reports that some were disappointed with the numbers attending. I say that somewhere around 1000 is enough to raise a loud cheer, and given the organizational level, where and when it was held, it was about as successful as could have been expected.

Up-standing-with-the-nun-date: Deborah and Kathy were there too.

7 Comments:

Blogger Chris Taylor said...

Well Damian, as usual we were at the same event and missed each other by a couple of feet. (Based on your photos we were a row or two apart, I think.)

I've got my photos of the event posted here but I'm still working on descriptions for them.

4:01 p.m., September 29, 2006  
Blogger Mark, Ottawa said...

CTV Newsnet has been giving Red Friday T.O. rally good coverage, subbed "Vibrant Show of Support"--Joe Warmington of Toronto Sun, main inspirer of rally, being interviewed right now.

Mark
Ottawa

4:12 p.m., September 29, 2006  
Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

Taylor, you frickin' stalker! ;)

I was a couple rows back, and to your left. Wearing my snazzy new yellow ribbon ballcap, a birthday gift from a relative with easy access to a Canex.

Great photos, as usual.

4:26 p.m., September 29, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kathy Shaidle and I were there. I've got some pictures posted.

Would have been nice to meet all of you. A good event, I thought.

1:20 p.m., September 30, 2006  
Blogger Jacques Beau Vert said...

I had to work, I'm afraid - I missed it. Maybe I'll make another one, if you hold one. I would like to be able to attend.

I'll happily support Red Friday now that it's up and running, although I don't like the idea - I'd rather we all got together to donate useful items that our forces may be short of, or write letters, or something.

I've been wondering what I can do along those sort of lines, and I thought this would be the best place to ask - what can a person do? I know soldiers in, say, WWII, used to need socks and razors, for example - what is something that we could do now, today?

12:01 p.m., October 01, 2006  
Blogger Jacques Beau Vert said...

Oh, I'll of course check back, but feel free to email, too - jasonbogreen@yahoo.com

12:02 p.m., October 01, 2006  
Blogger Brian said...

I too was there. Three posts, with pictures, here:

http://hespeler.blogspot.com/

9:54 p.m., October 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home