Thursday, August 10, 2006

There were worms in that can of whoop-ass

Apparently we've got Canadian soldiers, in battle, on the internet (ht:JD).

From a morale and recruiting standpoint, is this good or bad for the CF? Are there significant tactical implications, or is it pretty much valueless from the insurgents' point of view? Does this call into question aspects of the embed program, and any controls surrounding it?

The only certainty, as I see it, is that this genie isn't going back into the bottle anytime soon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I don't know about any other videos but that one didn't give away anything significant in terms of tactics.

6:47 p.m., August 10, 2006  
Blogger Greg said...

These videos (I've seen a couple) will be a great bonus for the CF, both for recruiting and DP1 training. Also the Canadian public can actually understand what we do. While they need to be screened a little, any minor tactical advantage they may give the enemy is easily offset. I say go with it.

10:50 a.m., August 11, 2006  
Blogger elizabeth said...

It's hard to weigh in on this issue.
I came across one on youtube last week and I felt a little odd watching it because - like you suggested - I wondered if any pertinent information was being divulged and also, I wasn't sure if the soldiers being filmed were aware of it. It just felt wrong. But - I do think it's important for the rest of Canada to know what it is you do - only I want them to see everything you do. Not just what you do in combat situations. Make sense? Also, I'm not sure how this was being filmed but, shouldn't our troops be concentrating on other things? I worry that filming this will distract them from doing their job and result in a death. Is this a valid worry?

3:45 p.m., August 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home