Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense

I place more importance upon her service and her sacrifice than her gender, but nonetheless must note that Canada has suffered its first combat loss of a uniformed female soldier since WWII: Capt Nichola Kathleen Sarah Goddard, of the 1st Regiment Royal Canadian Horse Artillery. Rest in peace.

I hope at the very least that Capt Goddard's death inspires in tonight's debate on the ongoing Canadian mission in Afghanistan the gravitas that was shamefully absent from the last one. I understand politicians are inherently political, but by God, they need to sober up, ask intelligent questions, and provide intelligent answers. My party, your party, I don't care - soldiers are dying, and cheap theatrics should be stowed while the country's so-called leaders in Parliament address the future of their mission.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cameron Campbell said...

What I, as as a civilian, was struck with was how much like a soldier first, and a female soldier second she appears to have been.

This, for me was my take away, that gender means bugger all when push comes to shove and that people who think differently probably have a very specific axe to grind

11:34 a.m., May 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home