Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Afstan: NY Times admits it got it wrong about Canada

The fact that American troops are pulling out of southern Afghanistan in the coming months, and handing matters over to NATO peacekeepers, who have repeatedly stated that they are not going to fight terrorists [my emphasis], has given a lift to the insurgents, and increased the fears of Afghans...

Oops. A correction.

A front-page article on May 3 about the growing brazenness of Taliban insurgents in southern Afghanistan referred imprecisely to the combat policies of NATO peacekeeping forces that are scheduled to take over responsibilities as American troops withdraw from that region in coming months. While some contributing nations to the NATO forces have said they do not intend to fight Taliban and other militants, others, including Canada, have said they consider the NATO mission to be more than just peacekeeping [my emphasis] and would operate under the same rules of engagement as the Americans [I doubt they're exactly the same].

At least I had the good sense to put this in my post's title: Pessimistic story in the NY Times.

And to open the post with: Sad to say, I am not sure if I trust this kind of reporting in the Gray Lady any more.

H/t to Opinion Journal - Best of the Web Today which led its item with: Don't Blame Canada.

Cross-posted to Daimnation!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home